Unum Account Executive Sidney Kidder gives advice to deliver a complete supplemental package in the August issue of America’s Benefit Specialist Magazine.
The Baton Rouge Advocate reports on the 10 public elementary school teachers who won Starmount’s first annual Strong Schools Grant. Read the full article here.
WAFB Channel 9’s Elizabeth Vowell helps the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank stand up to hunger by highlighting how corporate donor like Unum’s Starmount make a difference. Watch the video now.
BATON ROUGE, La. – September 13, 2018 — Starmount, the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum Group (NYSE:UNM), has named Paul McLean as vice president of operations.
In this role, McLean will oversee the expansion of the dental and vision insurance operations, as the products reach across Unum’s national customer base. He will be responsible for supporting the company’s efforts to achieve top-line growth and profitability.
“We are growing and transforming to meet the demands of a marketplace hungry for valuable dental and vision benefits as part of the trusted Unum and Colonial Life brands,” said Starmount President and CEO Erich Sternberg. “I am confident Paul will help us harness our ability to innovate, adapt and channel our company’s expertise, while we meet and surpass our audacious goals for growth and customer service.”
McLean most recently served as vice president and head of centralized services at Prudential. He has served more than 30 years in roles of progressively expanding responsibility in financial management, product development, operations, policyholder services and strategy and administration.
“We are very excited to welcome Paul McLean to our operations, and look forward to the continued growth of our dental and vision business nationwide,” Sternberg said.
About Starmount Life Insurance Company:
Starmount Life Insurance Company is a member of the Unum Group family of licensed insurers, and is a leading national provider and administrator of dental and vision insurance coverage for Unum US and Colonial Life. Starmount is rated A- (“Excellent”) by A.M. Best (2018), independent insurance analysts. For more information about Unum Group and its subsidiaries, visit www.unumgroup.com.
Unum Group (http://www.unum.com/) is a leading provider of financial protection benefits in the United States and the United Kingdom. Its primary businesses are Unum US, Colonial Life and Unum UK. Unum’s portfolio includes disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental and vision coverage, which help protect millions of working people and their families in the event of an illness or injury. The company reported revenues of $11.3 billion in 2017, and provided nearly $7 billion in benefits.
BATON ROUGE, La. – August 23, 2018 – Starmount Insurance Company is awarding $10,000 to public elementary school teachers as part of the company’s new annual Strong Schools Grants program.
The program supports teachers in the school district with innovative ideas for increasing student engagement and approaches to learning. More than 40 teachers applied to receive grants of up to $1,000 to purchase equipment and resources.
“Starmount is proud to launch Unum’s Strong Schools Grant program in Baton Rouge,” said Starmount CEO and President Erich Sternberg. “Education is the foundation of strong communities, and our corporate family is investing in our teachers to help make that foundation stronger.”
Strong Schools Grants are given to teachers who demonstrate effective and creative ways to positively influence students and improve their learning and achievement levels. These teachers earned the highest scores with the following projects:
- Cecilia Flores from LaSalle Elementary – Grant will purchase literacy books in both Spanish & English to promote reading at home.
- Emily Hand from Mayfair Laboratory School – Grant will fund the creation of an interactive garden-scape that can be used for kindergarten through fifth grade to explore different science concepts.
- Katelyn Fage from Mayfair Laboratory School – Grant will purchase iPads for her classroom to expose students to different aspects of technology, as well as teach them to make educational videos.
- Gia Washington from Claiborne Elementary – Grant will purchase materials to charter the first “Claiborne Council,” a student-led organization that plans monthly campus activities.
- Marie Perret Ivey from Highland Elementary – Grant will purchase classroom tools and playsets to expose her students to a variety of career professions in the community.
- Maribeth Andereck from Crestworth Elementary – Grant will purchase equipment so students can get access to other classrooms, arrange virtual field trips and have guests visit all via Skype.
- Cheryle Peters from Howell Park Elementary – Grant will fund a Makey Makey STEM Pack to teach students how to conduct electricity and design code to possibly spark an interest in engineering.
- Jamie Woolfolk from Merrydale Elementary – Grant will fund students with novels to support the Louisiana Guidebook curriculum and a field trip to the Louisiana State Capital.
- Keisha Skinner from Buchanan Elementary – Grant will fund the “Buddy Bags” for students, a project and activity designed to build their love of reading outside of the classroom.
- Sarah Norman from LaBelle Aire Elementary – Grant will purchase iPad minis and apps for students to overcome language barriers.
“East Baton Rouge Parish is very grateful that Starmount/Unum recognizes the need in our schools,” said Suzanne Navo of East Baton Rouge Parish School System, “and are kind enough to share resources with our teachers to carry out their great ideas and projects. Starmount has chosen wonderful projects that will make the most impact on students’ learning.”
Unum Group (http://www.unum.com/) is a leading provider of financial protection benefits in the United States and the United Kingdom. Its primary businesses are Unum US, Colonial Life Starmount and Unum UK. Unum’s portfolio includes disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental and vision coverage, which help protect millions of working people and their families. The reported revenues of $11.3 billion in 2017, and provided nearly $7 billion in benefits.
Starmount’s sister company Colonial Life provides expert insights into the dental benefits market. Colonial Life’s director of products, David Polen, talks to Len Strazewski of Rouge Notes in the May article “Experts note plan enhancements and a move toward the voluntary market.”
Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS) honors Starmount Insurance Company, the Baton Rouge-based subsidiary of Unum Group, as the Partner in Education of the Month at the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board meeting on March 15. Read more about the recognition in The Advocate.
Colonial Life and sister company Starmount launch two of the industry’s most popular supplemental health benefits with the launch of Colonial Life Dental and Vision worksite plans. See the product launch announcement on Insurance News Net and NADP.
Starmount CEO Erich Sternberg talks to journalist Sam Karlin about national growth and a new product launch.
Starmount CEO and President Erich Sternberg talks to Sam Karlin about the company’s growth and major product rollout with sister company Colonial Life. Read “Starmount Life in Baton Rouge takes another step in ambitious growth plan” in The Advocate and Insurance News Net.
Starmount, Unum’s subsidiary and dental operations in the US, talks to SuperMoney about dental care pricing and insurance. Read Jessica Walrack’s article, “Everything You Need to know to Compare Dental Financing,” to hear what we said.